Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mobilink GPRS and Sony Ericsson GC79 connect card

Onwards with my quest to be connected all the time, every time, I’ve taken another step. After the failed experiment of the VPTCL, which neither gave constant speed, and nor was it true wireless, because you have to carry the huge set around with you, and the battery wasn’t that good either.
The only option at my disposal was to setup a Wifi network at my place and have either the regular dial-up, or DSL. Setting up the Wifi itself is expensive, add to that the huge amount the ISPs are charging for DSL every month, and I had to scratch that option.
The last resort, came in the form of a company that I love to hate. Mobilink, or as is popularly known here, Maybe-link. After being frustrated by their “Network Busy” messages, I threw away the cell phone connection I had and switched over to Ufone, vowing never to return to it, no matter what.
But after it’s launching of GPRS and being the only company in Pakistan that gives the option of unlimited GPRS for a fixed monthly amount, I had to give in and return to its customer service for a new connection. I was intrigued by their offer especially when it came with a GPRS connect card that would make my laptop connected to the net, wherever I go. I collected all the details and then started doing my research, which was a good thing because it saved me from being ripped off.
Mobilink are offering their GPRS connect card, which is basically Sony Ericsson’s GC75 card with a Mobilink sticker on it for Rs. 12,700 (inc of taxes). If you go to any mobile store in Karachi, you can get SE’s GC79 card for around Rs. 8,000. When I asked the Mobilink representative about this difference, he made up a story of how the card that they are offering is compatible and if I buy the card from outside, I will have problems with the settings and it won’t work. It sounded like a lot of BS so I decided to buy the GC79. I bought it from a Sony Ericsson shop in Clifton Center, and bought a zero line rent Mobilink Indigo post paid connection with GPRS activated.
The installation was simple, you install the software and plug in the card, it asks you the APN of the service provider and the username and password. I checked out Mobilink’s site and the APN was there. For post paid users, the APN is “connect.mobilinkworld.com”. The site said to leave the username and password blank. I did just that and guess what, it didn’t work. I called the helpline and asked for the username and password to which I was told it is “mobilink” for both fields. I didn’t argue as to why it was stated blank on the website because I was in a hurry to see the results.
After putting in the right information, I was immediately connected and ready to surf. The speed isn’t that bad, it is almost 75% of what I get with the Cyber Hi Speed that I use at home, which is not bad, plus I get the freedom to roam around anywhere without wires.
However, I tried it again last night and it wouldn’t connect to the network, same result this morning. But right now I am connected and everything seems okay. I am giving mobilink the benefit of the doubt as this might be a one off problem. Will try again tonight and see if it works.
Hopefully this will end better than the VPTCL experiment and this could be it for my search to wireless connectivity until the government decides to reduce the DSL rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment